Towards meaningful local government reform
Making Local Government work; Talk of proportional representation in the local government system has so far focussed on the political party system, a means of really entrenching the ills of a system that already places too much emphasis on the political party system.
There are alternatives for more effective local government reform that would allow local communities ways of more actively getting involved in the running of localised affairs which it might be useful to consider as we talk of local government reform rather than the continued centralisation modes we have been drifting into over the last few decades.
Financing & Resourcing – Making Local Government Work
The issues touch on financing and resourcing development at local level; management issues that promote nonpartisan local government system, rationalising overlaps in jurisdiction among others which have not even made it into the election campaign.
Decentralisation in Making Local Government Work
As we move full gear into local government elections it may be useful to consider some of the recommendations for local government reform that allows for decentralisation which is a commitment successive governments have made at various Summits of the Americas, Commonwealth Heads of Government meetings, UN General Assemblies etc but which remain sitting on shelves like this report I prepared for through the Active Democracy Network of the Organisation of American States … on enhancing participation in Local Government and decentralising to allow for more meaningful development
Ask about Know Your District Tours from LiTTours
- Did you know…musical traditions
- Hmmm Tat Sat
- Musical walk to UNESCO Creatives Cities
- Musical Road thru UNESCO Creative Cities
- News! Featured WorldPulse Ambassador
- Equity Budgeting for Social Happiness
- Triple Whammy To Hit Energy Sector
- Clandestine Confession of internalised Colonial Contempt
- Youths connect Village to Global Village
- Gold Merit for Doctor of Medicine 2019
- Celebrating Service in National Award Winners
- Mud Volcano hisses at Tropical Storm Karen
- With BBC Gone, Who goin’ take over Town?
- Guardian features fables’ musical mix
- Tapping into creativity Fables with musical singalongs
- News! First woman President of Senate passes exclusive interview
- News! Dr Kris Rampersad TV Interview
- Leading the Reading Revolution
- Pictures of Dorian’s grey fury
- News! Independent reviews Festival Fables
- The State of the State at Independence 57
- Munnie Takes Flight New Adventure Festival Fables
- Munnie Takes Flight
- Caribbean Flavoured Festival Fables from Dr Kris
- Novel approach to Changing the Climate
- Culture of Secrecy Costs
- Shakespeare is 455. The world knows of him for this one reason…
- Easter on my island
- Nature bears its crosses n thorns
- Notre Dame Heritage Building on Fire
- From Village To Global Village
- Reggae on UNESCO Heritage Register
- A Year in the Life of….
- Moments of Excellence
- Crime Punishment & The Sedition Act
- Peacebuilding in Paris
- Calypso Tribute to Swamp Heroism
- Disaster Reduction Risk Management
- At the National Awards Ceremony on Republic Day.
- One Moment in Time Story of a Storyteller Extraordinaire
- Women in Red or Ladies in Red?